What is biotechnology?
It´s a part of our everyday lives. Biotechnological processes have been used for thousands of years and are used even today for things such as pharmaceuticals, food, water and agriculture. You also benefit from biotechnology, for example, in your breakfast yoghurt, a light beer with lunch or if you bake sourdough bread. It is part of our everyday life.
Microorganisms – the first life on Earth
About 4.5 billion years ago the first life on Earth developed – microorganisms. All life on our planet today originated from microorganisms. Examples are bacteria, fungi and mould.
All microbial life is divided into four classes. The microorganisms used in Pure Effects products are good bacteria, especially Bacillus Subtilis and Lactobacillus. They belong to Class 1, which means they are documented as completely harmless to people, animals and nature. They are already in our environment and cannot mutate into something dangerous. (Source: The National Institute of Health – NIH)
Did you know that
- A glass of clean drinking water contains about a million bacteria.
- The first life on Earth, when it formed about 4.5 billion years ago, was a microorganism.
- You consist of approximately 1.5 kg of bacteria. Most are in your intestines and your skin, and make up your vital immune system.
- You have a unique microbiota, your personal set of microorganisms that make you who you are.
- We live in a microbial world. Every surface around us is made up of microorganisms such as bacteria, fungi, etc. Most are kind and beneficial to us.
- Bacillus Subtilis is a common soil bacterium that is all around us and is specialized in the decomposition of organic material. Imagine how the autumn leaves in the forest disappear, or process in a compost – a part of our ecosystem. It also works in Pure Effect’s products and help us to break down fat, urine and other impurities that we want to get rid of in our homes.
“It takes a whole new way of thinking to solve the problems we have created with the old way of thinking.” / Albert Einstein
More in media on beneficial bacteria and a probiotic lifestyle
Make Bacteria Work For Us article in Waterfront (Stockholm International Water Institute)
Study on disinfectants and cleaning – increased risk for infections:
Environmental, Health and Legal Aspects of Cleaners Containing Living Microbes as Active Ingredients. Spök & Klade 2009.
Slow Design Studio – Pure Effect