What is biotechnology?
Biotechnological processes have been used for thousands of years and are still used today for pharmaceuticals, food, water purification and agriculture, among other things. You can benefit from biotechnology in your breakfast yoghurt, in a light beer for lunch or if you bake sourdough bread, for example. It's part of our everyday lives.
Microorganisms - the first life on earth
About 4.5 billion years ago, the first life on Earth evolved - microorganisms. All life on our planet today originates from micro-organisms, such as bacteria, micro-fungi and moulds. All microbiological life is divided into four classes. The microorganisms used in Pure Effects products are good bacteria, mainly Bacillus Subtilis and Lactobacillus. They belong to class 1, which means that they are proven to be completely harmless to humans, animals and nature. They are already present in our environment and cannot mutate into anything dangerous.
Did you know that:
- One glass of clean drinking water contains about one million bacteria.
- The first life on Earth, when it formed about 4.5 billion years ago, was a microorganism.
- You are made up of about 1.5 kg of bacteria. Most of them are in your intestines and on your skin, and make up your vital immune system.
- You have a unique microbiome, your personal set of microorganisms that make you who you are.
- We live in a microbiological world. Every surface around us is taken over by microorganisms such as bacteria, fungi and more. Most of them are benign and beneficial to us.
- Bacillus Subtilus is a common soil bacterium that is everywhere around us and specialises in the breakdown of organic matter. Imagine the disappearance of autumn leaves in the forest or the process in a compost - part of our ecosystem. It also works in Pure Effects products, helping us break down fat, urine and other dirt we want to get rid of at home.
Read more here: